All the Business Excellence Models across the globe are built on achieving a continual improvement in all dimensions of the business. Excellence is a Paradigm in which the organizations strive to Excel others initially and over a period of time – develop a culture of excelling themselves. Lean thinking drives the organizations to Excelling themselves regularly.
Lean by name indicates getting More and More with Less and Less resource (Time, Material, Machinery Man power, Money and work space).
Lean management is not about eliminating people but effectively using the available resources to supply to the customer demand. It is about expanding capacity by reducing costs and shortening cycle times between order and ship date.
Lean Manufacturing is an all encompassing culture, a behavior or mindset that focuses on the Customer. Anything that the Customer does not perceive as adding Value is considered Waste. Lean Manufacturing seeks a Continuous Flow for all value-add process steps through the system by Elimination of Waste, thereby reducing the Time to Customer.
How we Implement Lean
KIAP guides the organizations to reach LEAN – A STATE OR CONDITION ACHIEVED BY – READY – STEADY – GO Model:
- FIRST BY REMOVING WASTE OF ALL TYPES – UNWANTED AND UNRPODUCTIVE ACTIVITIES AND PROCESSES. – SHED WEIGHT – BECOME HEALTHY & READY
- THEN BY REDUCING THE WANTS THUS FOCUSING ON DOING ONLY WHAT IS NEEDED there by achieving consistency in one state. – BECOME STRONG AND STEADY
- Then move to reducing the very need for such activities/ processes – LEAP HIGH AND FORWARD – GO LEAN.
KIAP implements LEAN through a simple three step approach.
A 2-3 day session to set out the management objectives and make a Lean roadmap detailing the improvement route to achieve these.
Conduct repeated Focused Improvement Workshops, normally around 3-4 of them within a span of 4-6 months to establish new paradigms and change the way people think and behave
- In each workshop, specific process improvements and problem solving projects from the roadmap are implemented and the results verified.
- Fortnightly reviews to ensure pending actions are completed, course correction (if any required) is done and planning for next round of improvements.
Take up initiatives for long term sustenance through regular hand holding and review visits. This phase will see implementation of basic TPM concepts like Autonomous Maintenance for equipment reliability, quality systems, synchronizing supporting functions like materials, HR and finance as well as establishing a performance monitoring system to keep track of the process and output deviations on a daily basis.
The organization will start realizing benefits at the end of the first workshop itself and achieve the goals set out by the end of the intervention.