The breakthroughs made during the KANZEN workshops have to translate into sustained business results. This is done through standardization by following the SDCA cycle. It is at this stage that many SME organizations fail to reap the long terms rewards mainly as they lack a well defined organization structure and shortage of key professionals who can manage the Gemba.
They often need to recruit or put in place the right person in the plant management level who can take over from us and run their operations smoothly. We are in a position to support such organizations make this transition smoothly while they develop the requisite structure and capability to takeover and sustain the improvements made.
A team of KIAP experts would be deployed on a full time basis at client’s Gemba for an extended duration of 3-4 months
Month 1: Preparation and Change
- Establish steering committee of top management and KIAP Director – responsibilities include reviewing the status, auditing results and providing required support.
- Establish the cross functional gemba team comprising functional heads and KANZEN consultants – responsible for process improvements, standardizing the changed processes and reporting the results.
- Define the road map for the COT project with specific result oriented milestones which will be reviewed and further actions decided upon by the steering committee.
- Based on the broad road map, the gemba team takes each process or functional area and details out the improvement projects with defined timelines.
By the end of this phase, all improvement projects identified in the roadmap would have been completed and results verified.
Month 2: Operate
- The changed process is operated on a daily basis by the process owner with the support of the gemba team. Any problems that surface are immediately tackled to ensure that there is no reverting to the old ways.
- Process changes and day to day operating results are reported through defined mechanisms such as daily/weekly meetings
By the end of this phase, process capability has been established on a consistent daily basis and the improved processes are now giving the targeted results.
Month 3: Transfer
- The SOPs and detailed Work Instructions are written for all the changed processes; any minor modifications or improvements are completed immediately.
- All the supervisors, operators and helpers working are trained in their respective processes based on the SOPs and work instructions.
- The trained internal KANZEN champions with the support of the top management run the process themselves for the last two weeks.
The KANZEN spirit has been inculcated into the core of the organization by now, internal champions are also in place and the organization is now able to independently sustain and continue its journey towards perfection.